Pros and cons of a solid surface shower pan
If you are planning to purchase a solid shower pan, then read the following article which explains its pros and cons. This will help you make an informed choice for your home.
Advantages of a solid shower pan
Here are some of the key benefits of having a solid surface shower pan.
- Shower pans are quite convenient when it comes to maintenance. Since the pan is solid, there are no grout joints that you will have to deal with.
- Since shower pans can be customized, they can well fit in your dream bathroom irrespective of whether you have glass block shower enclosures or curved, angled or odd shaped glass.
- Shower pans comprising solid surface bases are incredibly durable with no seams. Therefore, there are no chances of water leakage.
- The design of the curb of the shower pan can be personalized as per every individual’s requirements which helps in ensuring a safer showering environment. Such customization can also help people who have mobility issues.
- Solid shower pans come as a single product and do not require any overhead finishing material. It doesn’t require a tile or two to complete the look.
- If you plan to use a shower pan, you don’t have to worry about the location of the drain since it is customizable. This will save you from the extra plumbing cost that you would have to incur otherwise.
- Solid shower pans are known for their luxurious appearance so they can enhance the look any bathroom.
Disadvantages of a solid shower pan
Here are some of the common drawbacks of getting a shower pan.
- The purchase cost of a solid shower pan is considerably high as compared to acrylic or fiberglass bases. This is chiefly because acrylic and fiberglass bases are designed in large quantities and, usually come in standard sizes, so their purchase cost is lower.
- Solid shower pans are quite heavy as compared to the other bases, like acrylic or fiberglass which are readily available in the market. So, it can be challenging to move large shower pan base in apartments located on higher floors.
Shower pans are readily available in several colors so that it can match almost every dcor and create the perfect look that you want. Irrespective of the shape you want, be it an angled or a straight or a curved shower pan, it can be designed to meet your requirements. If you have a problem stepping over the shower curb, it is best to choose a barrier-free roll in your shower pan in order to make it more comfortable and secure.
Since solid shower pans can be relatively pricey, try to buy them during the sale season. You can also find shower pan sales on e-commerce sites comprising quality products and competitive prices.